Skip Navigation

Registry @ South Trail Crossing
66, 4307 – 130th Avenue SE
Calgary, AB T2Z 3V8



Fax: 403-257-1830


Motor Vehicles services

Alberta Vehicle Registration Services in Calgary

All Alberta motor vehicle registration services in Calgary performed at Registry @ South Trail Crossing Ltd. require acceptable identification. As authorized registry agents in Alberta with courteous staff at our office, we’re here to help you renew your driver’s licences and/or vehicle registrations without the hassle of dealing with government agencies. In addition to the proper identification, we will also need your current vehicle registration certificate, proof of insurance coverage and an acceptable method of payment (we accept cash, cheques and most major credit cards). To find out how much your motor vehicle registration will cost, please feel free to visit our fees section

For more information regarding the following services listed below, please go to the Service Alberta website. Should you have any additional questions or concerns about Alberta vehicle registration in Calgary, don’t hesitate to contact us. Please stop by and see us with all of your registry needs – we simplify the motor vehicle and driver’s licence registration processes to offer you fast, easy processing while you wait.

Services We Offer

Commercial Registrations

Special Registrations

  • Antique vehicles
  • Dealer plates
  • Ham radio operator plates

Special Registration Programs

  • Prorate program
  • Quarterly licencing program
  • Permanent fleet program

Specialty Vehicles

  • Modified, homemade, amalgamated vehicles, trailers and motorcycles
  • Converted buses

Commercial Registrations

For commercial registrations you may be asked to provide one or more of the following:

  • Gross vehicle weight
  • Safety Fitness Certificate (SFC)
    • A Safety Fitness Certificate (SFC) is required for a:
    • Commercial vehicle with a registered gross weight of 11,794 kg or more
    • A vehicle (bus) designed to carry 11 passengers or more (including the driver)
    • A farm plated vehicle with a weight of 4501 kg or more and travels outside of Alberta
  • Commercial inspection
    • Tractor trailers, trucks and trailers with a combined weight of 11,794 kg must be inspected annually
    • Vehicles originally designed to seat 11 or more persons (including the driver) must be inspected semi-annually. Included in this category are:
      • Commercial bus
      • Commercial school bus
      • Commercial passenger van (e.g., 12 and 15 passenger van)
  • Exemption Permit
    • A client must obtain an Exemption Permit when their school bus does not meet all legislated school bus requirements in accordance with:
    • Alberta Traffic Safety Act
    • Federal Vehicle Equipment Regulation
    • Canadian Standard Association

Special Registrations

Antique Vehicles

The antique plate class is used to register a vehicle (which includes motorcycles):

  • At least 25 years old
  • Only operated as a collector’s item in exhibitions, club activities, parades and transportation to and from these activities
  • Driven to and from a garage for servicing
  • Never used for general transportation

Dealer Plates

Dealer licence plates are issued to:

  • Manufacturers of motor vehicles
  • Dealers of motor vehicles
  • Clients engaged in the business of servicing motor vehicles

Special Registration Programs

Prorate Program

Alberta is a member of the International Registration Plan (IRP), a reciprocity registration agreement among Canadian and U.S. jurisdictions. This program applies to Alberta carriers who travel in Alberta and at least one other province or state. Rather than obtaining and paying for plates and registration in each jurisdiction, prorate offers the advantage of proportionate licencing in Alberta.

As part of the IRP, the Alberta Transportation Prorate Services’ office calculates registration fees for prorate approved commercial vehicles. The fees are calculated based on the percentage of total distance travelled within each jurisdiction. All prorated registrations expire on March 31 of each year. For more information please call Prorate Services at 403-297-2920 or visit their website.

Quarterly Licencing Program

The Quarterly Licencing Program is used by clients:

  • Who have an annual registration fee of $500 or more and want to split their registration into a quarterly rate


  • Whose vehicles are part of the Permanent Fleet Program. Clients cannot register or renew their vehicle registrations for less than one full quarter.

Quarterly registration periods are:

  • January 1 to March 31
  • April 1 to June 30
  • July 1 to September 30
  • October 1 to December 31

Specialty Vehicles

Modified, Homemade, Amalgamated Vehicles, Trailers & Motorcycles

Modified, homemade and amalgamated vehicles, trailers and/or motorcycles are assembled from new and/or used parts. The licence plate class issued for a modified, homemade and amalgamated vehicle, trailers and/or motorcycle is determined by the use of the vehicle.

In addition to the requirements noted for the applicable licence plate class, the following must also be presented by the client if the vehicle, trailer and/or motorcycle is assembled from used or new parts without a vehicle identification number:

  • A processed Assigned Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Application form from the Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC). Depending on the vehicle, trailer and/or motorcycle an inspection may be required.
  • Vehicles, trailers and/or motorcycles with unusual operating characteristics must be referred to Alberta Transportation Safety Branch for an inspection to ensure compliance with basic equipment requirements

Registry @ South Trail Crossing

66, 4307 – 130th Avenue SE
Calgary, AB T2Z 3V8

Phone: 403-246-4646

Fax: 403-257-1830



Monday-Friday: 9:00 am to 5:00 pm

Saturday: 9:00 am to 4:00 pm

Sunday & Statutory Holidays: Closed

Review us

Registry @ South Trail Crossing

Created by

Legal notice