top of page




Do you want to be notified before your driver's licence expires or upgrade your license?  Registry @ South Trail Crossing Ltd. is here for you. As an authorized Government of Alberta registry we provide a wide range of driver's licence services in Calgary. We can help you with everything from replacing a lost license and document translation to booking a road test in Calgary. We test and issue driver’s licences and photo identification cards.


We’re happy to help you! Contact us today for more information.

Applying For a Driver’s Licence for the First Time

At Registry @ South Trail Crossing Ltd., we’re just as excited as you are to help you get your driver’s licence for the first time. If you’re applying for your first driver’s licence, here’s an overview of what you need to know.


  • Class 7 learner’s licence

A Class 7 learner’s licence allows you to drive a Class 5 or 6 vehicle with someone over 18 who has a full Class 5 driver’s licence or higher. You must be at least 14 years old and pass a knowledge and vision test to obtain a learner's licence. You can only drive a class 6 vehicle if you are 16 years or older.


  • Class 5-Graduated Driver's Licence (GDL)

A Class 5 licence allows you to drive all Class 5 motor vehicles. To get a probationary Class 5-Graduated Driver’s Licence (GDL) you must be at least 16 years old and have had a Class 7 learner’s licence for at least one year. You must also pass a vision and road test. If you’re under 18, you must have written consent from a parent or guardian.


  • Full Class 5 driver’s licence

To get a full Class 5 licence, you must be at least 18 years old and have driven for two years with a Class 5-GDL with no suspensions or demerit tickets for the last year.

Updating Information on a Driver’s Licence

If you recently moved or changed your name, you must apply in person at our registry office to update your driver’s licence or vehicle registration. When changing your name, you must provide supporting documents that prove your name change is legal. When changing your address, you must provide both your physical and mailing address within Alberta.

Replacing a Lost or Stolen Driver’s Licence

If you lost your licence or had it stolen, you must apply for a replacement at our registry office. To qualify for a replacement, you must provide a valid form of photo identification, like a passport. You can also replace a licence with non-photo ID such as a birth certificate. If your driver’s licence was stolen, it is recommended you report it to the police.

If you’re unable to visit our registry office in person because you’re out of province or medically homebound, you can apply for a new licence by completing the Remote Driver's Licence/ID Card Application. You must have last held an Alberta driver’s licence and provide proof of identification and Alberta residency with your application.

Renewing a Driver’s Licence

Most Alberta driver’s licences are valid for one to five years. If it’s time to renew yours and you have a medical condition, are 75 years or older or hold a Class 1, 2 or 4 driver’s licence, you must visit our registry office in person with a completed Driver's Medical Report Form.


If you don’t require a medical for renewal and hold a Class 3, 5, 6 or 7 driver’s licence, you can renew it online. The online site can only be used if your driver’s licence hasn’t expired and you’re renewing without changes. Keep in mind that if the photograph on your licence is four or more years old, you must visit our registry office to have a new one taken.

Upgrading a Driver’s Licence

There are four classes of commercial driver’s licences in Alberta: Class 1, 2, 3 and 4. Each one allows you to drive different types of vehicles. To upgrade to a commercial licence, you must be at least 18 years old and have a full Class 5 driver’s licence.


First, you must arrange with one of our registry agents to take a knowledge test. Once a client passes the knowledge test a registry agent will do a vision test. If you’re applying for a Class 1, 2 or 4 licence, you must submit a completed Driver's Medical Report Form. Class 1, 2, and 3 require a road test as well. You can upgrade to a commercial driver's licence if you successfully pass the knowledge, vision tests and road test except class 4 and are medically approved.

Exchanging a Non-Alberta Driver’s Licence

If you recently moved to Alberta and will be living in the province permanently, you must exchange your current operator licence for an Alberta driver’s licence. Here’s an overview of the requirements:

  • Exchanging licence from another province

If you have a Class 3, 4, 5 or 6 licence, you’ll be given an Alberta driver’s licence equal to the class of licence you’re exchanging. If you haven’t held a Class 5 or Class 6 licence for a minimum of two years, you may be placed in the graduated driver’s licence (GDL) program.


Class 1 and 2 licences from outside Alberta may not be exchangeable, depending on when and where you got your licence.


  • Exchanging licence from the United States

If you’re from the United States and hold a Class 5, 6 or 7 driver’s licence, you can obtain an Alberta licence without taking a knowledge or road test. If you hold a commercial licence, it will be exchanged for a class 5 licence. If you want a class 1, 2, 3 or 4 licence, you will have to complete all testing.


  • Exchanging licence from a reciprocal country

If you’re exchanging a valid driver’s licence from a jurisdiction with a reciprocal licence exchange agreement, such as Australia, Germany and France, you can obtain an Alberta licence without taking a knowledge or road test.


  • Exchanging licence from a non-reciprocal country

If you’re exchanging a licence from a jurisdiction that doesn’t have a reciprocal licence exchange agreement, you must pass a knowledge and road test to obtain an Alberta driver’s licence. You must also surrender your out of country licence.


One of our registry agents in Calgary will be happy to walk you through the process.

Driver’s Licence Suspension and Reinstatement

Your driving privileges may be suspended if you commit certain offences in Alberta. For example, if you’re convicted of an alcohol, drug or alcohol-drug-related offence, your licence is automatically suspended. Additionally, if you receive a total of 15 or more demerit points within two years, your driver's licence is automatically suspended for one month.

If your licence is suspended, you’ll receive a Notice of Suspension letter in the mail. This letter will identify the length of the suspension and the conditions you must meet to have your driving privileges reinstated. 


You must turn your driver's licence over to our registry office on or before your effective date. It’s illegal to have your driver's licence while you’re serving a suspension. It’s also a serious offence to operate a vehicle while serving a suspension. If you’re charged and convicted of driving while suspended, you can face jail time, fines or both. You will also face another suspension and the vehicle you are driving will be seized and impounded for 30 days. 

Driver’s Licensing Services in Calgary

Registry @ South Trail Crossing Ltd. offers a wide variety of driver licensing services. Our devoted staff is friendly, accommodating, and courteous, ready to guide you with your registration requirements including vehicle registration. Whether you need to renew, upgrade, replace or exchange your driver’s licence, our staff is committed to providing high-quality services to all our clients. Visit our registry office today or contact us today in Calgary for more information.

bottom of page