top of page

Can I Register a Vehicle in Alberta with an Out-Of-Province Driver's Licence?

welcome to Alberta sign

Did you know that even if you don’t have a provincial driver’s licence, you can still register a vehicle in the province of Alberta? However, there are a few steps you must take. Here’s what you need to know about registering a vehicle in Alberta with an out-of-province driver’s licence.

What You’ll Need to Register a Vehicle in Alberta

Car registration and insurance are two distinct processes in Alberta. Vehicle insurance is done through private companies, while registration is done through the government, via authorized registry offices. This means you’ll need to buy Alberta car insurance before registering your vehicle.

To do so, simply visit a nearby insurance office. You may be asked to provide a driver’s abstract and claims experience letter from the insurance provider in your home jurisdiction. Once insured, you’ll get a pink card, which is proof of Alberta insurance.

If you bought your car outside Alberta but within Canada, it must pass an Alberta out-of-province vehicle inspection and get a certificate before being issued Alberta plates.

If your car was purchased outside Canada, you’ll need to provide a Transport Canada Vehicle Import Form as well as the inspection and insurance.

Once you’ve purchased insurance and passed the vehicle inspection, visit an authorized registry office to complete your registration. Remember to bring:

  • Proof of Alberta insurance

  • Out-of-province vehicle inspection certificate, if applicable

  • Transport Canada Vehicle Import Form, if applicable

  • Proof of ownership, such as a bill of sale

  • Valid photo identification, like an out-of-province driver’s licence or passport

If you’re a new Alberta resident, you have 90 days to change your registration. You’ll also have to exchange your driver’s licence for an Alberta licence within the same time frame.

Who is Eligible for Vehicle Registration in Alberta?

Anyone over 18 years old can register a vehicle by themselves. Individuals under 18 may need a signed parental consent form.

If you’re temporarily working in Alberta but are a legal resident of another province or country, you can use your existing registration and plates for up to six months or 183 days. Your vehicle must be legally registered in your home jurisdiction.

Full-time students are also allowed to use their registration and plates from their home jurisdiction as long as they’re valid, and the student is attending an accredited Alberta institution.

Vehicle Registration Services in Calgary

At Registry @ South Trail Crossing, we offer registration services for a variety of vehicles, including motorcycles, trailers and commercial vehicles. If you have questions or need help with car registration, contact us today or stop by our Calgary office and one of our representatives will happy to help you.


bottom of page