top of page

How to Replace a Lost or Stolen Driver’s Licence in Alberta

Driver’s wallet forgotten on the road with car in background

Did you misplace your driver’s licence? Put it through the wash? Had it stolen? You may be wondering what your options are. Here’s what you need to know.

What to do if Your Driver's Licence is Lost, Stolen, Destroyed or Unreadable

If your driver's licence is lost, stolen, destroyed or unreadable, you must apply for a replacement at a registry agent office. In order to qualify for a replacement, you must provide a valid form of identification. Some examples of valid photo identification include:

  • A photo identification card issued by another motor vehicle jurisdiction or government issued photo identification

  • Your passport

  • A citizenship, immigration, naturalization or permanent resident card

  • A Canadian Armed Forces identification card

  • A municipal, provincial or federal police force identification

Keep in mind that if your driver’s licence is stolen, you should report it to the police.

Temporary Licence

Once you’ve applied for a new licence, you’ll be given a 30-day temporary interim licence to use until your new driver’s licence arrives in the mail. This usually takes 7-10 business days.

You can keep your previous Alberta driver’s licence as government-issued photo identification until your new one arrives in the mail. However, you must securely destroy your previous driver’s licence card and the temporary driver’s licence once the new card arrives.

Remote Application for a Driver’s License

If you need to apply for a new driver’s licence but are out of province or unable to visit a registry agent in person because you’re medically homebound, you can apply for a new licence by completing the Remote Driver's Licence/ID Card Application.

You must have last held an Alberta driver’s licence and provide proof of identification and Alberta residency with your application. Some examples of acceptable Alberta residency documents include:

  • A utility, telephone, gas, cell phone or cable TV bill in your name

  • Your income tax return

  • A land title document

  • A mortgage document or residential lease containing your physical address

  • A written confirmation of employment

At Registry @ South Point Crossing Ltd. in Calgary, we can help you with all your driver licensing needs. We handle licence registrations, renewals, replacements and more. We also book road tests.

Driver’s Licence Services in Calgary

If you’re looking for a reputable registry office in your area, Registry @ South Point Crossing Ltd. in Calgary is the place to go. We issue driver licences and other photo identification cards, perform vehicle registrations and book driving tests, all in one place! Contact us today to find out how we can serve you.


bottom of page